Saturday, July 23, 2011

Working in Malta

This post has been in draft format for six weeks now, as work has been consuming all my time - I am travelling a lot and even when I travel, don't have the capacity to update the blog. I am forcing this one out now to get back on track!

I recently have been working quite often in Malta, assiting an local EY team on one of our clients. This is what my home away from home has looked like from the inside for the past several months. While it seems glamorous, being away from the wife more painful than anything and having dinners alone gets pretty lonely.
I started working here in May and am now on my fifth trip here. But I am finally getting some company as some of my colleagues are joining now. I have had one weekend day off during my time here and in the day I had off, I got to experience a little taste of Malta by taking a hop on hop off bus.

I primarily stay at the Hilton, which is a great hotel for both business and pleasure and has about 410 rooms, 400 more than the hotels we usually like to stay in. The bay below is St. Julian's, where there are lots of old boats, restaurants and of course, beautiful waters.
The first stop of the hop on hop off bus was Valetta, the capital of the country. With amazing history and architecture, you could easily spend a whole day here wandering the alleys, walking through gardens to arrive at beautiful views of the harbor, and lots and lots of churches (as Malta is one of the most religious countries in the world). Malta has a really varied history and has been occupied by the Arabs, Napolean, Britian, Sicily and even Germany.

Its most famous protectors were the Knights of St. John, who fought for years to keep the Ottoman empire from conquering the city - successfully. Their fortress is across the harbor from Valetta, you can see it in the pic below.

Following Valetta, I took the bus to Mdina and explored around the picturesque medieval capital of Malta. You don't need more than an hour or two wandering around, but there are plenty of lunch spots and you can walk along the walls that used to protect the city.

Following my city tours, which builds up some sweat in the Maltese heat, it was off to the beach. Ghajn Tuffieha and Golden Bay were the beaches I choose, which has crystal clear waters and are off the beaten track, yet accessible by the hop on hop off bus.
The best of the two was Ghajn Tuffieha, as it had a little pizza cafe and is otherwise unspolit by development.
Again, as beautiful as the scenery is, my buddy was missing in the photo below, could've used another towel, some snokerling gear and a little wife!

No comments:

Post a Comment