Sunday, October 12, 2008

The European Club

Over the summer, I have played a lot less golf than I envisioned, mostly because of the over-priced green fees and the inaccessability to any courses while not having a car. However, David, Joe, and myself got a 4 round ticket at the European club, a links course on the Irish sea. It is heavily discounted on a per-round basis from the €180 you'd pay for a single round, so we went for it.
Tiger Woods holds the course record at a 67, to give you an idea of the difficulty, and Paddy Harrington (who won two majors this summer) won the Irish PGA championship at a -1 for the three round tourney. We played the following day from the same tees as the Irish pros, which was actually my best of the four rounds, I think I shot a 93.
It is a beautiful course about 45 minutes south of Dublin in Britta's Bay in Wicklow. Probably the most beautiful setting combined with the most difficult course I have played. The two times I broke 100 (out of four) would usually drive me to put (slam) down the clubs, but in this case, it just caused me to shake my head with a smile. The European club got the best of me alright, with its massive pot bunkers lined with railroad ties that invade the narrow fairways, which is a better option that the knee high thickets that define the rough...but they were four unforgettable rounds!

No comments:

Post a Comment